To get a long lasting tan that fades evenly, it is important to prepare your skin thoroughly.
- Shave or wax 24 hours before your professional tan
- You will need to be fully exfoliated before you have your professional tan. There are various exfoliating methods but the one that works best are exfoliating gloves. Give them a good lather with body wash or soap in the bath or shower and exfoliate the entire body using circular motions.
- Avoid putting on any moisturiser before going for your professional tan as this may affect the colour of the tan.
- There is a guideline colour in the salon solution which gives you a gorgeous instant tan, so wear loose, dark coloured clothing as it may rub off a little onto your clothing. If some of the tanning product rubs onto your clothing it will wash off. Tight clothes or shoes will also rub off areas of your tan causing an uneven final tan.
- A light coat of nail polish is advisable as this will prevent the tan from staining your finger nails.
- Try not to wash your hands after your tan, your tan will fade on the tops of your hands and leave them looking lighter than your body.
- The full, two phase development time is 24 hours but you are able to shower after eight hours. After the eight hour period, your base tan would have developed and even if you shower, the second phase will continue to develop and your tan will deepen in colour.
- Moisturise daily with The Tan Lab Hydration Lotion and top up with The Tan Lab Gradual Tan to prolong the life of your professional tan.
- Remember there is no sun protection in our sunless tanning products so please ensure sunblock is used when going into the sun.
What to expect when going for a salon tan
Every salon is different and has their own unique tanning environment. This could be a shower facility, pop up tent or an open room. Disposable underwear and cap would normally be offered to you but some people prefer to go in their own underwear which they use for sun tanning. If you use your own underwear it should be dark in colour. You should be careful using nylon underwear as the tanning solution will generally stain it.
The tan therapist will discuss your skin tone and the depth of tan she thinks would work for you (this will depend on your base colour or natural skin tone). The Tan Lab offers a tan that will suit every skin tone. Often clients are nervous and have heard about, seen or experienced disastrous spray tans. Bad spray tans lead to orange knees, ankles and elbows. No matter how much you scrub, that stubborn orange tinge just doesn’t go away! You can trust that The Tan Lab won’t put you through that. You will be asked to apply our Barrier Cream onto your joint areas. This will prevent that unwanted staining you get on your knees, ankles and elbows from spray tans.
If this has happened to you and you feel nervous about your spray tan, we suggest you opt for the lighter shade. We know you will love it, gain confidence in the product and take your tanning to the next level! Alternatively, you can try The Tan Lab’s luxurious Gradual Tan. Applied like a body lotion, you can re-apply every night until you reach your desired colour.
The spray tan process takes a few minutes and you will be guided as to where and how to stand and move while the tan therapist and airbrush machine do the rest.
The tan will not take long to dry and generally you should expect to be manually dried for a minute or two with a fan or dryer. Soon after, you will be ready to get dressed. Remember to wear loose, dark clothing!
So, all in all, the whole process is about 15 minutes and you will be left with a gorgeous, instant tan with an exotic fragrance.
You will not be left with a typical sunless tanning odour that seems to get stronger as the tan develops. Remember when we developed this product, we had YOU in mind.
Our products are all PH balanced and have the highest quality Eco Certified ingredients.
Once you have had one of our professional tans we are certain you will not try any other salon!